September 29, 2021 – Faculty of Interdisciplinary Sciences, Khon Kaen University Nongkhai Campus welcomed the Government’s Commission for Science, Technology, Research and Innovation to the seminar on “Research and Development to Upgrade the Quality of Life of the Root Farmers” and to follow-up the implementation of the project to promote the occupational levels of farmers and increase their income by means of farming technologies, which include extracting matters and manufacturing of products under the big project called “Nongkhai Model.” The delegation was led by:
- MP Arkarawat Asawahem, Commission Member for Science, Technology, Research and Innovation
- Professor Kanok Wongtra-ngan, Ph.D., the First Vice Chairman of the Commission for Science, Technology, Research and Innovation
- MP Sakuna Saranan from Sakonnakhon
- MP Ekthanat Inrod, Commission Member and a Nongkhai MP
Khon Kaen University administrators joining the seminar were led by Assoc. Prof. Charnchai Panthongviriyakul, M.D., President of Khon Kaen University; Prof. Monchai Duangchinda, Ph.D., Vice President for Research and Graduate Study; Prof. Thidarat Boonmars, Ph.D., Vice President for Innovation and Enterprise; Prof. Phewphan Maleewong, M.D., Assistant to the President for Research and Graduate Study; Asst. Prof. Natthaphat Ananteerakul, Assistant to the President for Education and Academic Service; the Advisory Board of the Nongkhai Model Project; representatives from Nongkhai Province, administrators of the Faculty of Interdisciplinary Sciences and researchers of the Nongkhai Model Project.
Assoc. Prof. Charnchai Panthongviriyakul, M.D., President of Khon Kaen University conveyed a welcoming address to the delegation and Asst. Prof. Kiat Saeng-arun, Ph.D., Dean of the Faculty of Interdisciplinary Sciences introduced the representatives from Nongkhai Province and the researchers of the Nongkhai Model Project. Asst. Prof. Kiat Saeng-arun, the Project Component leaders and the research team then presented the overall view of the project along with the problems and obstacles encountered during the operation. The following people are the component leaders:
- Ajarn Kamolthip Panyasit, Ph.D., Leader of Component 1: Development of safe farming to strengthen the competitive competency of Nongkhai farmers
- Asst. Prof. Chatchai Preecha, Ph.D., Leader of Component 2: Upgrading cash fish culture for sustainable development
- Asst. Prof. Mallika Chantarungsri, Ph.D., Leader of Component 3: Value adding model for producing extracts from indigenous plants in Nongkhai
- Asst. Prof. Kritsada Khacharoen, Ph.D., Leader of Component 4: Manufacturing agricultural products for value adding
- Ajarn Sap Amornpinyo, Ph.D., Leader of Component 5: Marketing and following-up of socio-economic evaluation
- Assoc. Prof. Chayada Surawanitkul, Ph.D., Head of Project Communications
The first group of farmers joining the project as members includes 426 people. The research team has entered the site to explain about the project mission and train the farmers using scientific and technological knowledge from the research works so that the farmers can increase their earning, which was expected at 10,000 baht per household per month.
Professor Kanok Wongtra-ngan, Ph.D., The First Vice Chairman of the Commission and participants at the seminar gave suggestions for the implementation on upgrading the quality of life of the farmers and the implementation guidelines for the research teams under all components so that they will reach the expected outcomes. Standardization was the main emphasis to be made in order for the farmers to acquire their competitive competency. The participants also gave suggestions related to the customers from Lao PDR and China, who are entering the country via the new high-speed railway line in December this year.
During the afternoon, the Commission members, administrators of Khon Kaen University; Project head and component leaders of Nongkhai Model visited the site and met the farmers under the project to follow-up the progress of the following missions:
- 1. Production of vegetables, crops, herbs and cash insects – The responsible farmer was Khun Piriyakorn Leeprasertpan and member farmers who are working at ‘Garden Three’, Nong Komkoh Sub-district, Muang District, Nongkhai. The delegates also exchanged their experiences related to the production of cricket products with the farmers.
- 2. Fish products – The responsible farmers were Mrs. Sasimon Saenseemon, Mrs. Prathumwan Hinsaensai and member farmers working at Kongkang Sub-district, Thabo District, Nongkhai. The visiting group exchanged ideas with the farmers related to fishery and fish products.
- 3. Production of big-plantations of pineapples – The responsible farmer was Mr. Praiwan Utama, the chairman of the big-plantations of pineapples and member farmers at Nongplabak Sub-district, Srichaingmai District, Nongkhai. The visiting group exchanged opinions with the farmers on pineapple products and manufacturing.