Khon Kaen University; Research Center of Excellence
Khon Kaen University (KKU)’s vision to become a leading world –class university is in line with the mission that KKU has been assigned to be the "Center of knowledge” based on the wisdom of local communities and society, together with the commitment as a university of academic excellence.
Several working agencies have been established in all fields to establish mission goals for research and technology transfer in line with the goal to develop the university as a research center of academic excellence.
These agencies include the Office of Research Management, the Office of Royally-initiated Projects and a total of 25 research centers of excellence and research specialist groups, 20 research centers and groups supporting and promoting research to university staff and personnel which are also provided with research funds from KKU’s 40th year anniversary establishment of its Research Fund, and other funding sources. These research centers aim to help support and promote the research work of university personnel and staff.
Additionally, KKU has established more research working bodies to collaborate with organizations outside the university, both public and private organizations. At present, the University has partnerships with more than 160 national and international research organizations from 25 countries. There are also exchange programs for KKU students, personnel, provided with full equipment, knowledge, labs and other kinds of bodies of knowledge.
Outstanding research work of KKU:
• Medicine, Public Health and Tropical Medicine// Tropical Disease Research Laboratory (TDR)
• Agriculture and tropical farming systems (animal science, plant science).
• Bio-diversity in the Mekong River basin
• Arts, Culture and society in the Greater Mekong sub-region (GMS).
• Business, economic and tourism in the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS)
Direction to move research work of KKU forward
KKU has set the direction for outstanding research work that is clear and interesting research to develop new bodies of knowledge and then apply. This research is very significant for the university areas and expertise as the researchers develop new systems created from new research for intermediate to senior researchers and also with further development of support mechanism system.
These support agencies include Research tools and equipment, the Center for Animal Laboratory /Animal Research for the Northeast, the Office of Ethics in Human Research, .the Office of Intellectual Property Management, and the support work of research publication
From the implementation and strategy of research dedicated to the work studies of researchers for a period of more than four decades has resulted in evident research work done by the KKU among both the national and international levels. Several research subjects have been utilized for issues such as Academic, intellectual property and community development.
These applications are also divided into three levels of development in rural areas; development at provincial, regional level and industrial development. It is important to note that the country’s development plan is necessary and needs the bodies of knowledge on technology.
KKU was appointed as the National University of Research in 2010, and then one of the missions to build up research and applications for the benefit of society.
KKU has set up the direction of research work to be outstanding and creative as a world leading research center in outstanding research work of KKU:
- Medicine, Public Health and Tropical Medicine and health.// Tropical Disease Research Laboratory (TDR)//
- Food and food for health
- The holistic river basin management
- Mathematics and Science studies
- Bio-diversity of Mekong River basin.
- Arts, culture and society in the Great Mekong sub-region (GMS).
- Thai herbal and health products // Center for Research and Development of Herbal Health Products
- Business, economic and tourism in the Greater Mekong Sub-region.
KKU is regarded as a national university of research projects which aim to present all 6 clusters of research proposals including
- Health problems, especially in the Greater Mekong Sub-region.
- Food products and food for Health in the Northeast region
- Integrated Watershed Management
- improving the quality of basic/ fundamental education.
- Advanced and special materials
Research Centre of Science & Technology Units
- A joint Research center for dedicating to the hard disk drive components
- Agricultural Machinery and Postharvest Technology Center
- Research and development centre for renewable energy.
- Center of Geoinformatics for the Development of Northeast Thailand
- Research center for innovation and intellectual technology
- Groundwater Research Center
- Integrated Nanotechnology Center, KKU
- Fermentation Research Center for Value Added Agricultural Products
- Plant Breeding Research Center for Sustainable Agriculture
- Sustainable Infrastructure Research and Development Center
- Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center
- Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center for Sustainable Economy
- Applied Taxonomic Research Center
- Research and development center for integrated water resources management.
- Research Center for Environmental and Hazardous Substance Management
Research Center of Health Science.
- Research and Diagnostic Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Research and development center for medical diagnosis and clinical lab // Center for Research and Development of Medical Diagnostic Laboratories
- Melioidosis Research Center
- Center of quality of life promotion for working aged people.
- Research and service center for diseases diagnosis of new epidemic.
- Liver Fluke and Cholangiocarcinoma Research Center
- Research center for cleft lip and palate patients under Tawan Chai Project
- Research and development center for herbal products for health
- Research and development center of herbal products for health, Khon Kaen University.
- Centre for Research and Training on Gender and Women's Health
Research Centre of the Human & Social Sciences
- Mathematics Education
- Center for Research on Plurality in the Mekong Region
- Center for Research on Mekong Regional Tourism
- ASEAN Language Center
- Center for Civil Society and Nonprofit Management (CSNM)
- Digital Humanities
- Research Group on Wellbeing and Sustainable Development (WeSD)
Research specialist groups
- Cardiovascular / blood vessel research.
- Genomics and Proteomics research for rice strain improvement
- Forest silk products raising research and development for creating added value
- Back pain, neck pain, joint pain and others.
- Diabetes prevention and control in the Northeastern region
- Nervous system research and development, KKU
- Melatonin research
- Supply chain and logistics system
- Energy efficiency/ sufficiency
- Embedded systems research
- Proteins and Proteomics
- The chemistry of natural products research.
- Education assessment and quality assurance
- Economic and trade in Indo-China countries
- Varietal Improvement of Peanut and Jerusalem Artichoke for Increasing Product Value and Quality as a Functional Food
- Business and Economic Research in the Northeast
- Sustainable development.
- Stroke research in the Northeast.
- Exercise and Sport Sciences Development and Research Group
The Research Centers of Excellence are supported by the Commission on Higher Education of Thailand, and KKU is currently joined by 5 networks: 1. Postharvest Technology Innovation/ Transfer Center, Faculty of Engineering
2. Graduate Studies and Research Network Development Project on Agricultural Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture.
3. Network development project and graduate studies and chemistry research, Faculty of Science
4. The network Center of Excellence in Mathematics (CEM), Faculty of Education.
5 Network and national center of excellence in Environmental and Hazardous Substance Management, Faculty of Engineering
Working agencies that help support research: